Born in Montréal, Jean Le Fébure studied at the École des beaux-arts de Montréal, then at the School of Architecture at the Université de Montréal. Between 1949 and 1952, he participated in a number of automatist exhibitions, including the Salon des Rebelles in 1950. He lived in Paris from 1953 to 1965, during which time he had exhibitions in Spain, Italy, Switzerland, and France. When he returned to Québec, he taught at the School of Architecture at Université Laval, then at the CÉGEP de Saint-Laurent. Le Fébure was known mainly as a painter, and his works are in the collections of, among others, the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal, the Montréal Museum of Fine Art, and the National Gallery of Canada.