Born in 1921, in Vienna, Austria, Josef Pillhofer attended the school of arts and crafts in Graz, and then studied sculpture with Wotruba, in Vienna. In 1950, he obtained a scholarship that enabled him to pursue his studies at the Académie des beaux-arts in Paris. There, he met the sculptors Zadkine, Brancusi, Laurens, and Marini. During his career, he had exhibitions in Paris, Vienna, Amsterdam, and Venice. He died in 2010, in Vienna.
The artwork is situated in Mount Royal Park, near Smith House. It is composed of a reinforced-concrete base upon which sits a monolithic sculpted limestone form combining curved and angular geometric shapes.
Pillhofer’s artwork, influenced by cubism, is a geometric abstraction with furrowed surfaces. It gives a sense of both humility and freedom, gathering and strength. Pillhofer challenges the plan confronting figuration, but without opposing it.