Claude Vermette was born in Montréal in 1930 and studied art with Brother Jerome at Collège Notre-Dame. Then, Vermette joined the Automatists but did not sign their manifesto, Refus Global, because he was too young. During a trip to Europe, in 1952, he developed an interest in ceramics. This material was prominent in his body of work, alongside painting and printmaking. A pioneer of integration of art with architecture, his work is featured in a number of Métro stations in Montréal, including Place-des-Arts, Saint-Laurent, Jean-Talon, and McGill. He died in 2006.
Architects Brassard and Warren took the initiative to hire ceramist Claude Vermette to decorate the station. Composed of glazed ceramic tiles, these twelve murals add a splash of colour to the platforms.