Born in 1921, in Vienna, Austria, Josef Pillhofer attended the school of arts and crafts in Graz, and then studied sculpture with Wotruba, in Vienna. In 1950, he obtained a scholarship that enabled him to pursue his studies at the Académie des beaux-arts in Paris. There, he met the sculptors Zadkine, Brancusi, Laurens, and Marini. During his career, he had exhibitions in Paris, Vienna, Amsterdam, and Venice. He died in 2010, in Vienna.