Irene F. Whittome was born in Vancouver, British Columbia in 1942. She has taught at Concordia University in Montreal from 1968 to 2007. She was a Masters Program associate since 1975 and became full professor in 1995.
Lives and works in Montreal and Ogden, in Quebec’s Eastern Townships. Between 1995 and 2000, works are the subject of four solo exhibitions in the institutional context: at the Centre international d’art contemporain de Montréal (CIAC) (1995), the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal (1997), the Canadian Centre for Architecture (1998), and the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec (2000). In 2001, begins work in the Stanstead area to create Conversation Adru, presented at the Art Gallery of Bishop’s University (now Foreman Art Gallery) (2004). In 2003, purchases a disused granite quarry in Ogden, in which she constructs a studio and works beginning in 2004.
Irene F. Whittome has received many awards for artistic excellence, including the Victor-Martyn-Lynch-Staunton Award from the Canada Council of the Arts (1991), the Gershon Iskowitz Prize, Toronto (1992), the Prix Paul-Émile-Borduas from the Government of Quebec (1997), and the Governor General’s Award in Visual and Media Arts (2002). In 2005, she was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada. Her works are in the collections of Canada’s major museums. Since 2005, she has been represented by Galerie Simon Blais in Montreal.
Source: artist’s web site /http://irenefw.com/.